.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Amazing Drink obtained by rubbing, squeezing and massaging - WW


washing aiyu (洗愛玉)

While gorging myself silly at the Taiwan Food Street, I saw this man repeatedly rubbing and submerging a tiny bag of seeds in a basin of cooled water. I stood in front of his stall to kaypoh observe .....

As the bag of seeds was squeezed and massaged, a slimy gel oozed out. After 3 minutes, no more of the yellowish tea coloured gel could be extracted. The contents of the bag was discarded. The washed gel is then left to set into a jelly. No need refrigeration!


Aiyu
jelly () is a jelly made from the gel on the seeds of a variety of fig (Ficus pumila var. awkeotsang) found in Taiwan.

Left picture : Dried inside out fruit of F. pumila var awkeotsang, ready to be used.


The jelly is usually served with honey and lemon juice. You can also add it to other sweetened beverages or shaved ice. In hot summers, it is particularly popular as a cool drink. Since the gel doesn't dissolve in hot water, aiyu is sometimes used as an ingredient in hot pot.

Thirst-quenching, appetising aiyu jelly drink! S$2

packets of aiyu seeds S$10 each, 3 for S$20

Said to be a healthy drink, good for our digestive system, I just love slurping it. Refreshing.

It's my favourite drink these few days! Excuse me while I get another cup.

*to the crowd of bystanders* Excuse me. Excuse me! EXCUSE ME!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment