.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gourmet Cooking with Chef Eric Low - OurCommunity.sg - PH

PhotoHunt theme : Busy

Gourmet Cooking with Chef Eric Low

It's been quite some time since I attended a course at the local community centres due to my busy schedule.  I receive frequent emails and texted messages from the administrators about courses but with the newly launched mobile portal OurCommunity.sg, it allows residents like me to access up-to-the-minute information about courses, activities and facilities, interest groups and food outlets via my smartphone. So convenient!

I was delighted there would be a Penang Assam Laksa and other nonya delights course taught by Chef Eric Low at Tampines West Community Centre on 30 June 2011. Although it was an hour from my house by bus, I signed up for the course.


There were 13 participants, 12 ladies and a guy. While most of them are residents living nearby, several like me travelled from other parts of the island to learn from Chef Eric. There was a domestic helper who is a regular of Chef Eric's cooking courses. She has learnt quite a number of dishes and is churning out yummy dishes for her Mam's weekly party. Cool! 

 Lots of questions to ask ...........

With so many like-minded people in a room, very soon we were bantering, sharing cooking tips and info on where to buy what, as if we have known one another for years. A few even gave me their contact numbers so we can have companionship when participating in future courses. Such a course certainly brings people together, bridging communities, fostering new friendships and creating stronger bonds.

ingredients used in Assam Laksa


Chef Eric has studied in the CIA,  it's the Culinary Institute of America lah, not the intelligence agency. I used to pester my son to join this school in California so I could live there for a while. haha... Eric is also from SHATEC and currently works with Nestle. His passion for food is contagious.

His dishes are simple yet tasty using ingredients that are easily available at the wet market. The delivery of the know-how is clear. Also, he offers many cooking tips and generous portions for food sampling.

What we learnt at this course :

 1) Penang Assam Laksa

 2) Inche Kabin (Penang Nonya Fried Chicken)


3)Durian Flavoured Fresh Tapioca Cake

Many of the regulars bought containers to bring the food samplings back. I finished every bit of mine. :P

Can't wait to cook the newly learnt dishes for my hungry guys at home! 


Tampines West Community Centre
5 Tampines Avenue 3
Singapore 529705
Tel: 6783 7910
Fax: 6785 4875
Opening hours: 9:00am-10:00pm

Visit OurCommunity.sg to check out the activitites at the nearest Community Centre you can take part in!

*********** oooOOOooo **********

Are you craving for a slice of authentic Taiwanese street fare? Let Chef Eric's Taiwanese culinary delights transport you to the night markets of Taiwan's bustling cities.

Chef Eric Low's Personal Favourites :   Taiwanese Street Snacks

1) XXL Extra Large Crispy Chicken Cutlets 
2) The Taiwanese Prata 
3) Braised Pork Mince on Rice

Venue: MOUNTBATTEN CC
Tel: 63447387,63445768
Email: PA_MOUNTBATTENCC@pa.gov.sg

Date: 11 Jul 2011 
Day/Time: MONDAY, 7:30pm - 9:45pm

I can't get enough of Chef Eric's yummy fare, so I signed up for this as well. :D




First Commenter -



No comments:

Post a Comment